Categories

Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Prodigy by Marie Lu (Legend, #2) - Book Review

3/5 Stars



Edition: Paperback
Pages: 354
Chapters: 29
Publisher: Penguin Books

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website

Review

I don't know. I honestly don't. It might be the cold I caught mucking up my brain or just the fact I'm an idiot, maybe both? But Prodigy is quite a step down from Legend for me. Some things just don't make sense, and I feel like the answers are there in the book, but I just can't find them.

SPOILER WARNING

The Good:

June, she is a fantastic character.
The action is awesome, especially towards the end.
I love Kaede and Anden.
I love the whole idea surrounding the global warming disaster and the civil war.

The Bad:

I don't like Day or Tess the way I used to at all.
The assassination on Anden is far too confusing.

While Legend has an intriguing story, it never really elaborates on the events that caused America to split and what happened to the world, but thankfully Prodigy explains a lot more. And while for the most part Prodigy's plot is engaging, a lot isn't explained to the best of its ability. There is one part in the whole book that doesn't add up for me: The Elector's assassination. We find out at the start the plans for this and stuff, but the whole thing seems confusing.

To explain I have to give spoilers, so don't go on if you haven't read it. But if you have read the book, can you fill in this blank for me? I've probably just missed it.

So the whole reason for the assassination of Anden by Day is to cause a revolution that would destroy the government and give the colonies the chance to rush forward and win. Sounds fine, all seems logical, country up in arms, military having to fight both its people and enemies, leaving it vulnerable. What I don't understand is when we figure out that Razor really works for the Republic senators and wants Anden out of the way to take control and keep the laws already in place, how exactly would that work? The Republic would still revolt and leave the country vulnerable to the colonies. Help, please. 

Overall I enjoy the story of the book, and it's fast-paced and action-packed. Not overly complicated, but finds itself forgetting to explain some important details.

I am divided by the characters. I love June, who's strong, resourceful and always trying to do what's right. I love Kaede, she is just a badass! Anden grew on me, and it's interesting to see him fight for what's right. However, Day and Tess pi** me off. I dislike them a lot. Especially Day and June's argument. What Day fails to consider is that June was convinced he had killed her brother, and that none of his family were going to be harmed. What he also doesn't consider is that, Eden was being taken away anyway, and I doubt his mother and brother would have given him up without a fight, so would more than likely have been killed. I really just thought to myself, June, punch his face off the ungrateful idiot.

I finished the book though, and I feel very passionate about it, so in saying that, it done an okay job. It's not too bad a sequel to Legend, but I feel Legend is the better book.


Previous Instalment: Legend
Next Instalment: Champion


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment