Categories

Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan - Book Review

Overall 5/5 Stars

Withdrawal.
Right now, that is what I am faced with. Rick Riordan's series is magic, a series that might be tailored for children, but astonishingly can appeal to us all. The series and its author have been favourably compared to JK Rowling and her Harry Potter series, and for me, I can see it. The books are fantastic: Their plot, characters, writing style, all, all are superbly crafted. I'm holding on to the hope that, while this series might be finished, it will not be long until I pick up the Heroes of Olympus series.

I'm not gonna do an individual, spoiler free review of each book, but rather a look on the whole series. One thing that sticks with me is that, the books are not only brilliant individually, but each book as the series progresses gets better and better, marching towards a sensational climax. The plot is, as I've said, magical. They're engrossing to no end and full of great twists to keep your mind spinning and predicting.
The simple plot for the books goes like this: We are plunged into the world of Percy Jackson, a young teenager whose life is altered dramatically when he finds out that the Greek myths he learns about are not myths at all, but reality. He is the son of Poseidon, one of the Big Three gods of Olympus. Not only that, but a prophecy states that a child of the Big Three, if they reach the age of sixteen, will be faced with a choice that could save the world, or destroy it.
The books don't disappoint on the story front, it's hard to think of a word that can fully capture how captivating it is.

Rick Riordan also completes a sort of trifecta, not only are his story telling capabilities amazing, his characters are so compelling, you bond with them almost instantly. You travel on this journey with them, experience all the emotions they experience, and are heartbroken when the inevitable bad things descend upon them. Our main protagonist Percy is also very relatable, it took me a bit when I started the first book to get over the fact he is only twelve years old, but after a while that seems only to add to the appeal. I mean, come on, who doesn't want to be a super-powered twelve-year-old kicking the forces of evil's butt?

What I mean by trifecta is the three things that, in my opinion, matter in a novel of any kind. The story, the characters and the writing, and Mr Riordan succeeds on all fronts. The books are kind, simple, but rich and descriptive. They aren't hard to navigate through, and while things are spelled simply enough for you, there are always things that are left for you to figure out on your own. It's also written in a sort of humorous style, creating a riveting balance between the serious and hilarious. They're fast and action-packed, and won't take you long to finish.

So to round it off, I say to any age group or genre lover, try these. They might be marketed for a specific generation, but they are definitely for all ages. All readers will find something to love in this magical series.


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment