Categories

Friday, 20 June 2014

9th Judgement by James Patterson (Women's Murder Club, #9) - Book Review

5/5 Stars

The 9th Judgement

Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 355
Chapters: 117 (Plus a prologue with three parts.)
Publisher: Century

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website

Review

I'm gaining traction with this series. With number 9 finished, I'm closing the gap on the most recent one out, and it's making me a little sad. I love these novels, this series, everything it offers. It's pure and simple entertainment, all anyone could ask for. What strikes me the most is the authors' ability, both Patterson's and his co-authors', to keep each instalment fresh and exciting. Each novel has a gripping new tale to tell you, a fascinating new plot that grabs you, and, as a lot of the reviews say, it makes this series almost impossible to put down. Just to warn you though, this review is likely to contain SPOILERS for both this novel and previous novels. I only really include SPOILERS when something irks me, or I can't hold it in.

Like I said about the story, it's fresh and riveting. We begin with a thief dubbed 'Hello Kitty' pulling off a heist. She targets the wealthy, people who won't miss the money, but when one of the people she burgles turns up dead, and the finger is pointed at her even though she didn't commit the crime, it sets a fire off inside 'Hello Kitty'. Lindsay Boxer is on the case, but her attention is divided. A sick murderer is targeting mothers and children, but no one knows why, and no one knows how to stop it. The story is fantastic, it really puts a whole spin on the thief 'Hello Kitty'. She's human and easy to connect with, and her reasons for committing the crimes she has is extraordinarily compassionate. I connect with her on so many levels. I also love the women and children case, and the effect it has on the Women's Murder Club. I say love, in the sense of enjoyment, but the case is extremely chilling and surprising, and the way it connects to the novel as a whole left my mouth wide open.
I don't really have much to say about the characters for this one. Lindsay, Claire and Cindy are the most prevalent of the club, while Yuki really takes a backseat for the most part. Still very enjoyable, but there is one thing that truly bugs me, and has been for the past couple books: Lindsay and Richard Conklin, her partner. Now this is the SPOILERY part, so if you haven't read the series, you might not want to read on. For those of you that have, or just don't really care, then the SPOILER isn't really massive. Lindsay and Rich have this thing going on, where both of them have feelings for one another. What annoys me is the constant declaration by Lindsay that she is in love with her actual boyfriend Joe. This 'spark' between her and Rich has been going on for a while, and each book ends with it being resolved, only for it to pop back again in the next instalment. *Le sigh*

Aaaanyway, this is another awesome instalment to the Women's Murder Club, and take it from me, these are the crime novels you want to pick up.


Previous Instalment: 8th Confession
Next Instalment: 10th Anniversary


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment