Categories

Saturday, 29 November 2014

Buzz by Anders De La Motte (Game, #2) - Book Review

4/5 Stars

Welcome to the next level...



Edition: Paperback
Pages: 429
Chapters: 47 (Plus a prologue.)
Publisher: Blue Door

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Twitter

Review

It took me awhile to finish the second entry to The Game Trilogy. Not because it's bad or I wasn't enjoying it, I was, but I sat Buzz down a few months ago when I didn't have much time to relax and read. And when I did have time, I completely forgot I had started it. Stupid, silly me! Buzz is a fantastic sequel that I wish I'd read sooner! While not up to the level set by Game, Buzz is a tense thriller, big on mystery and strange characters that you'll either love or hate with a fiery vengeance. The series still surprises me. Mainly because I haven't seen much about it from anywhere, and for such a compelling story, it shocks me a little. It's definitely worth a go, and Game is an admirable start that will leave you begging for more. Want to know more then? Check out here.

Henrik 'HP' Pettersson's story picks up quite a bit after the end of Game. Relaxing in exotic places and seeking new thrills, HP's clearly using his hard 'earned' cash to full effect. But things soon turn deadly, literally. After befriending new people, one of them turns up dead, and HP is directly in the cross hairs when evidence starts to point to him. Is it The Game hunting him down? Have they finally found him? He doesn't know, but one thing has settled on his mind, he won't go down without finding out.
On the flip side HP's sister, Rebecca Normen is facing difficulties of her own. Her career is put on the line when someone puts a complaint in about her work, when she's done nothing wrong. Factor in a faceless enemy set against her, and Rebecca doesn't know where to turn, or who to trust.
Is The Game connected to her too?

Buzz's plot carries on nicely from Game. It's engaging and mesmerising, its twists and turns are actually quite inventive and mostly surprising. It's a pulse-pounding adventure like the first, with fresh questions in wake of the old. It's much like the first in all those regards, with a little difference. While you'd never really notice it, Buzz is paced a little slower than Game, and I actually enjoyed that. While I appreciated the first book for its synapse-sparking speed, Buzz draws it back a little bit. I would have liked a little more story cues later in the novel though. What I mean is, Buzz fires new information at you almost every other chapter, it's unstoppable and enjoyable, but 3/4 of the way through you do become a little lost and confused. Especially with the amount of questions the story pulls up throughout, when most of the answers aren't till the end. A little bit of recap here and there could have smoothed the story over. While it isn't glaringly bad, it did kind of peeve me that I had to wrack my brain several times for something that happened at the start, but wasn't elaborated on later when an answer appeared.

The characters split me 50/50. HP is his usual arrogant, douchey self, but the kind that you can't help but love. He is scaled back slightly, less narcissistic than in Game, which is a good choice by the author, as even though I love him, his personality annoyed a lot of readers. Whereas HP gets a thumbs up, Rebecca let me down. In Game she's calm, collected and compassionate, and while those attributes are more or less still there, they're weaker. Instead, a lot of qualities I hadn't associated with her character were, like surprising cold-heartedness, a little of her brother's narcissism and sometimes a little nasty. She's kick-ass in parts, but she isn't what I remember. As for other characters, there's a healthy sprinkle of absolutely fascinating to you'll-forget-me-after-this-chapter-and-panic-when-I-pop-up-later-and-you-can't-remember-me.


Buzz is a great sequel, no doubt about it. I give it 4/5 stars, and it only lost that one star for a couple reasons. The first is my previous cue talk above, and the other is the switching points of view. The book is told from HP's and his sister's POV, and while for the majority of the time it switches perfectly and smoothly, and does a fantastic job of interlocking their storylines, I found myself disorientated. The same style is used in Game, and was pulled of without a problem, but in Buzz it sometimes just doesn't fit. Going from a scene with HP to an inconsequential scene with Rebecca only to go back to the same scene with HP for it to finish. It's a little whiplashy.

Next up though, I am mega-excited for the final in the trilogy: Bubble.


Previous Instalment: Game
Next Instalment: Bubble


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment