Categories

Friday, 23 January 2015

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare (Mortal Instruments, #4) - Book Review

4/5 Stars

Clary is forced to acknowledge that she herself has set in motion a chain of events that could lead to the loss of everything she loves.

Even Jace...



Edition: Paperback
Pages: 435
Chapters: 19
Publisher: Walker Books

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website

Review

I was beyond looking forward to diving straight back into The Mortal Instruments series, and Cassandra Clare doesn't disappoint. City of Glass, this novel's predecessor, is very much the end of a story; and City of Fallen Angels is definitely the beginning of a new one. The book gets off to a slow start admittedly, having to not only set up a new plot, but it's also required to reiterate the series' history for refreshment. But after that, it's a wild ride of epic proportions. In true Cassandra Clare style, a fascinating new story has been crafted, with the characters we already love being thrown into danger once again.

Clary's life has more or less returned to some semblance of normality, with the less being that now she's training to become a true shadowhunter.
But Clary's definition of normality has been altered.
It isn't normal, unless the world is ending.
Jace is pulling away, Simon is pulling away.
And Clary has the sneaking suspicion that something she's done has put them all in terrible danger.
A danger that could cost her everything...

As I said, City of Fallen Angels gets off to a slow start, but it's easily read through. And once events are in motion, you are truly hooked. I love the world Ms Clare has created; with its diversity and complexity all so perfectly entwined that it almost hurts not to finish the book in as little time as possible. A plus side that counteracts its start is that, City of Fallen Angels is a new story, that has tons of history of its own. Reading the novel really makes you feel a part of something - I know, that sounds weird - something that makes the fictional world so real that you can't help but think the author has an unlimited amount of stories to tell.

I also instantly connected with the characters. It's been three books of getting to know them inside out, and it's so easy to fall back into place beside them as they hurl themselves into danger, again. At first I felt a little disjointed. City of Fallen Angels focuses almost as much of its time on Simon as it does Clary. It took a little adjusting, and I feel Clary might have suffered from it a little. After a bit of perseverance it is absolutely fine. For the story this book tells, it is perfect.

I did get frustrated over Clary and Jace's relationship though. After a trilogy of them being held apart, I was desperate to see them together, that after the big question the previous books posed had been answered, I was like HELL YES!!!! But, as is standard I suppose, they both face a new problem in City of Fallen Angels that, of course, keeps them apart. I no likey this, I want to see them together, permanently.

And, oh, the cliffhanger ending...

Let me at Book 5!


Previous Instalment: City of Glass
Next Instalment: City of Lost Souls


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment