Categories

Saturday, 9 May 2015

Travel Glasses by Chess Desalls (Call to Search Everywhen, #1) - Book Review - Indie

3.5/5 Stars

Just as I was about to make an excuse for why I had to go home, Valcas yelled.

"Calla - run!"

22930322

Edition: Kindle
Pages: 242
Chapters: 53
Publisher: Czidor Lore

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website

Review

Travel Glasses is a mixed bag, but an enjoyable one. Almost every aspect has me feeling 50/50. The cover though, is awesome! Green is my favourite colour, and look above, Travel Glasses is all about the green! It's also the first book where time travel is a major plot device that I've read. I know, I'm letting team science fiction down, who hasn't read a novel about time travel? Not me! Not anymore! 

I do feel that everything evened out, with the latter half of the story far more enjoyable than the former. 

So let's review!

SPOILER WARNING - Not 100% positive, but be wary.

Synopsis (Not a copy from the book, but I always keep my interpretations close.)

Calla is a hermit, for lack of a better word.
A humiliation at the hands of an internet friend turned troll means she's done trusting people.
So when Valcas, a stranger with an obsession with sunglasses, enters the scene, Calla surprises herself by saying yes to his proposal of a date.
Things naturally go horribly wrong.
Valcas's sunglasses have the power to travel through time, and he has a less than appealing plan for Calla.
Stealing his crazy, impossible time travelling glasses, Calla goes on the run.
Through space and time...

Plot - 3/5 Stars

I'll get the bad out of the way, because I much prefer the good stuff.

Bullet points!
  • What is wrong with Calla? Going on a date with a guy she's just met? There's something wrong here, especially since she has an aversion to people.
  • Also, the blurb had me intrigued instantly, but some of the things mentioned aren't really focused on. Calla's intention to find her mother or father is never seriously considered. Her fear of technology - something I was really excited to see - isn't much of a factor at all; there is no impact on her character.
  • Don't try to dissect the mechanics of the story too much. There's some stuff that is awesome, but overall, there's just too much. And the more you think of it, the less it makes sense.
  • The second half of the book is miles ahead of the first: Persevere.
Should I use bullet points more often?

On the plus side of things, the story is compelling. It's ability to keep you interested throughout its entirety smooths over the shortcomings. The blurb will have your attention, as it did mine, and for the most part, the book does it justice. Calla's fear of technology, while not fully capitalised on, does have an interesting history to it, and an even better lesson.

Be careful what you share online!

I'm a little worried it's too late for me...

I love how quickly we jump into the actual meat of the plot. Aside from Calla's questionable common sense, we are fired into the action and adventure after a couple of chapters. Your adrenaline gets turned on!

The adventure and time travel aspects are also pretty creative. They don't always hit the mark, but as long as you're not taking everything too seriously, it's a pretty enjoyable ride.

Pace - 4/5 Stars

What helps is the pace. A little iffy to begin with, but Ms Desalls has a great ability to keep the story moving while smacking the reader with exposition. So you might not understand everything, but part of you still kinda loves it. 

It's definitely a quick, practically seamless read that won't take up much of your time, but does give you an entertaining show.

Characters - 3.5/5 Stars

Another conflict for me. Calla is likable, but severely questionable. For someone wary of the consequences of trusting someone, she trusts in an instant. From scary Valcas, to Edgar, to Shirlyn, to nice Valcas. There's just too much trusting going on. There's also not much development for Calla, at least not markedly. She remains pretty much the same from beginning to end, despite bouncing around time and space. I do, however, like her voice and the way the author has written her.

Valcas and Edgar, for me, are the standouts. They have distinctive personalities and histories and character progression. They jell tremendously with the story.

Writing - 4/5 Stars

The writing is great, and flows perfectly, despite my earlier misgivings.

Travel Glasses is fast-paced, action-packed and well written, so getting through it poses no problems.

Overall - 3.5/5 Stars

Like I said, for me, everything's 50/50. There are parts of the book I enjoy immensely, and others that just don't make a whole lot of sense. When things click, they click. The action and adventure - mainly the Travel Glasses and time travel - are beyond fun. 

I'm intrigued, so I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the next entry to the series and see where everything is going.


Next Instalment: Insight Kindling


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment