Categories

Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight Saga, #4) - Book Review

4.5/5 Stars

When you loved the one who was killing you, it left you no options.

How could you run, how could you fight, when doing so would hurt that beloved one?

If your life was all you had to give, how could you not give it?

If it was someone you truly loved?

1162543

Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 700
Chapters: 39 (Plus three prefaces.)
Publisher: Atom

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website

Review

Breaking Dawn, oh, how you break my heart...

Just when I feel Meyer fully finds her feet, we come to an end. This entry to the series that has captivated and divided so many people, is my personal favourite out of all four books. For me, it's superbly balanced: Action tempers exposition; rationality levels the hyperbolic love; a stellar cast evens the slightly excessive length. 

Yes, it's now no secret, I love Breaking Dawn.


SPOILER WARNING

Synopsis (Not a copy from the book, but I always keep my interpretations close.)

Bella's decision is set.
Her future as an immortal is all but certain.
Until it isn't.
When she and Edward surrender to their passion, unexpected events are placed in motion.
And Bella might not survive long enough to be turned.
But if she does, a dark and deadly force awaits to rip it all away...

Plot - 4.5/5 Stars

Breaking Dawn's story moves quickly. There are a plethora of events that happen in rapid succession, and it's exhilarating. The flow is ten times better than this entry's three predecessors' combined. The book's length, while largely unencumbered, still drags a little with unnecessary scenes, but everything slots together so well it's not much of an issue.

The 'lovey dovey' stuff is also toned down; it's evened out by the author's - finally! - confidence in her action-packed and suspenseful scenes. There are some awesome surprises in store, and shocks that keep the story fresh. And that's this instalment's gift: Its balance. Gone are the long stretches of relationship drama, and instead, we're given little, guilty doses that work wonders alongside the plot's other devices.

Key events I adore:

-- The wedding! (Cause I'm a big softy.)

-- Bella's pregnancy. Gosh, it's equal parts chilling, equal parts sweet. The actual birth is intense.

-- Vampire Bella. Who can't love Bella as a vampire?

-- The layers of mythology that are added, and the deeper insight into everyone's special powers (especially Bella's).

-- The tense stand-off between the Cullens and the Volturi. Would I have liked a battle? Yes, but the tension is perfect, and the surprise is even better. Who can stand in the way of a happy ending?

There are more, of course, but those are my main loves. 

Pace - 4/5 Stars

This is where my main problem usually lies, but, while Breaking Dawn's length is pretty imposing, Meyer has worked out the kinks and given us a wonderful conclusion.

Despite its size, you're likely to complete this entry faster than any other.

Characters - 5/5 Stars

I'm trying hard not to ramble, so I'll keep it short:

I love Bella. I love human Bella; I love pregnant Bella; and I love vampire Bella. She can be hilarious, loving, strong and is the first-person glue that keeps everything together.

Edward: I only have one simple question. Who doesn't want a strong, selfless, slightly scary vampire to take care of them? 

Jacob: Ugh, I'm not too keen on the shift in viewpoint; it feels too out of place. I do enjoy how it creates a distance from Bella and adds a different first-person perspective but, Jacob becomes very vindictive! He irks me during this stage to no end, even more than some of Bella's whining does. Once he imprints he returns to the good-natured guy everyone loves. The imprint thing is a little squirmy, but Meyer gives a convincing explanation.

Alice can do no wrong. Period.

Renesmee holds the same power over the reader as she does to those within the book.

From stoic Carlisle, to compassionate Esme, Meyer has created a beguiling cast I'm sad to leave.

Writing - 4/5 Stars

I've said almost all I have to say on the author's writing in my previous reviews. It's fine. Not spectacular; not rubbish.

Overall - 4.5/5 Stars

I really do hope the cast have the happily ever after the final moments of the book promise.




Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment