Categories

Saturday, 17 September 2016

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore (Lorien Legacies, #2) - Book Review

5/5 Stars

I AM NUMBER SEVEN.

AND I AM READY TO FIGHT...


Edition: Paperback
Pages: 380
Chapters: 33
Publisher: Penguin Books

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website (I think, at least in relation to the series.)

Review

The Power of Six is a stunning sequel. It ramps up the battle between alien races with spectacular focus and undeniable fun. I am in awe. I Am Number Four, the first in this sci-fi series, is awesome, but this entry blows it out of the water. 

With multiple stories running concurrently, a captivating cast that doesn't hold back on variety, and scenes of an explicit and epic nature, The Power of Six takes the reader on a journey they won't forget. The way the author draws you in and emotionally invests you in what's happening is fantastic. Parts of the novel have you fist-pumping the air while others have you trying to read from tear-blurred eyes.

Give me more!

Synopsis (This time round, I'll be using the blurb that comes with my edition of the book.)

THEY KILLED NUMBER ONE IN MALAYSIA.
NUMBER TWO IN ENGLAND.
AND NUMBER THREE IN KENYA.
THEY TRIED TO KILL NUMBER FOUR IN OHIO...AND FAILED.
I AM NUMBER SEVEN. AND I AM READY.

Six of us are left. We hide, blend in, avoid one another, but our Legacies are developing. And one day soon we'll be ready to fight back. Is the appearance of Number Four the sign we've been waiting for? And what about Numbers Five and Six? Is the raven-haired girl from my dreams one of them? A girl with powers beyond anything I have ever imagined.
A girl strong enough to bring the six of us together...

I AM NUMBER SEVEN. AND I AM READY TO FIGHT.

Plot - 4.5/5 Stars

The Power of Six runs two stories concurrently: We follow Number Seven (Marina) in Spain and Number Four (John) in America. Both lines of plot are riveting; there is absolutely no disjoint between the two. Both contain the perfect balance of exposition and action, with one the tale of a hero still in the dark and the other a heart-pounding journey as our heroes are hunted by those they're trying to protect.

Unlike the first entry's more static environment, this structure expands the world immensely, enhancing the already massive feel the series has. It's adventurous and adrenaline heavy. I have to give mad props to the author, the way he mixes superpowers with advanced technology into the action sequences is unbelievable. The set pieces are truly spectacular; choreographed to perfection.

And just wait for those epic endings, and yes, I mean endings plural. With two stories on the go, both get equal attention, giving the reader a tantalising time. Plus you have your standard jaw-dropping twists and cliffhangers to contend with, some of which will have you tearing out your hair as you race to find the next instalment.

Pace - 5/5 Stars

When I realised that we'd be jumping back and forth between two viewpoints and plots, I was worried. Will they blend? Or will they aggravate each other? Thankfully, they're seamless. With a balance to die for, the reader has no problem making their way through the novel.

The only problem I can find with the pace is that, once you start the book, you better cancel all your plans, because stopping isn't an option.

Characters - 4.5/5 Stars

The Power of Six is bolstered by an impressive and expansive cast. Again, initially, I was nervous. Will the vast amount work? Will he or she get the attention they deserve? Especially when there are two stories going on with their own groups? 

I will happily tell you that not only does it work, each individual is outstanding. Sure, there are elements to some that pricked at my annoyance, but that's what makes a great character, no? With returning members of the first book, there's some lovely nostalgia and reunion, but that's not to drag the new faces through the mud. The new plot and its people are a fresh, fascinating look at another hero's life separate from the protagonist of the first book. 

The only real trouble I have concerns the faint love triangle (or maybe it's a love square, I'm not sure). I mean, come on, I Am Number Four has a simple and effective romance plot, and there are other possibilities with The Power of Six that don't involve characters fighting over one another. It's sloppily done and unnecessary.

Writing - 5/5 Stars

Both plots are written in the present tense with first-person narrative. Amazingly, the author manages to keep both viewpoints distinctive, keeping their voices clear rather than confusing. A change in the text's font also keeps the reader straight. 

The author keeps things simple, driving the novel along while not going overboard with descriptions. Scenes are clear and dialogue is snappy.

Overall - 5/5 Stars

Give me the next instalment! Now!

I have other books I want to get to first, but this series is fast becoming one of my favourites. Aliens, superpowers, an epic battle for freedom and hope, it just has it all.


Previous Instalment: I Am Number Four
Next Instalment: The Rise of Nine


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment